District Amroha ( previously called Jyotiba Phule Nagar) has been created by state Government on 15th April 1997 with its headquarters at Amroha. The district is comprised of erstwhile three tahsils viz Amroha, Dhanaura and Hasanpur of district Moradabad.Presently comprises 4 tehsils namely Amroha,Dhanaura,Hasanpur and Naugaon Sadat. In the historical perspective, the present area of the district refers to be a part of kingdom of North Panchala Desh with its capital at Ahichhatra, presently situated in Bareilly district. It is said that during the reign of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, the governor of Sambhal, Rustam Khan built a fort and compelled traders and agriculturists to settle around it. Raja Amarjodha, of the Bansi dynasty, was the ruler of region Amroha in 474 B.C. In Tarikhi-Amroha, it is mentioned by its author that Amroha was ruled by Rajputs between 676 and 1141 A.D. Behram Shah (1240-42) appointed MalikJalaluddinto the position of Hakeem of Amroha. In ancient time Panchal rulers, who then held dominance over this region were thrown out by the Kurus of Hastinapur but subsequently towards the middle of fourth century BC the entire Panchala region, including this district, was annexed to Nanda empire and continued as such for a quarter of a century. The Mauryas ruled over this region for the next century and a half. After the downfall of Kushans, Nanda dynasty also occupied this region but they were subdued by Samudra Gupta. The dominance of Gupta empire over this region, remained for the next two centuries and then the district came under the control of Mukhari kings of Kannauj after the downfall of Gupta empire and thereafter it remained under the reign of Harsha, during 606 to 647 A.D. After the death of Harsha, as in the whole of the northern region, in this district also, anarchy and confusion prevailed for quite some time However, at later stages, Tomars and Clans of Gahadvala’s also ruled over this region. Again after the defeat of valiant King Prithvi Raj and later Jai Chandra at the hands of Shahab-ud-din Gauri, there was a state of confusion and lawlessness. Ultimately, Katehriyas, Bargujars, Gaurs, Tomars and some other clans of Rajputs united together with the sole objective of facing Muslim invasion and they continued their efforts for quite some, even after the establishment of Muslim outposts in some parts of the district. The Mughal invasion however, succeeded lateron when Babar became King of Delhi in 1526. After the accession of Humayun to the throne, the region was captured by Afghans under the leadership of Sher Shah for a shortwhile but again during the reign of Akbar, the district became part of Sarkar of Sambhal of Delhi subah under Mughal Empire. Rohillas also held their dominance in this region from time to time and Marathas too invaded this region quite frequently but were driven away by Shuja-ud-daula’s troops. Later it came under the control of Awadh. In 1801, the administration of this territory was ceded to the British East India Company by the Nawab of Awadh.